Loading... Please wait...

FAQ

LED Frequently Asked Questions: 

 

What is LED?

The LED, short for ‘Light-Emitting Diode’, has been in use for many years in for high-efficiency lighting in traffic signals, cellphones, Christmas lights, and other common applications. Until recently, LED technology was considered generally inaccessible for household use due to the high price of construction— since then, advancements in semiconductor technology and manufacturing technique allow today’s LED bulbs to be a cost-effective, reliable option for almost any lighting application. With the rapid development and innovative potential of this technology, it would be no overstatement to say the future of LED is, well, bright. 

How do LEDs differ from other lighting technologies?

In use since their invention in the 19th century, conventional light bulbs produce light through incandescence, in which a thin filament is heated through electric current until it emits visible light.Though familiar, this method of light production is largely inefficient, using only 10% of expended energy to produce light while the other 90% is lost to the air as heat. 

An energy-efficient alternative, fluorescent lights such as CFLs consist of a glass tube containing argon and mercury vapor. Running an electron current through these gases produces UV light, exciting a fluorescent coating in the inside of the tube, producing light. While CFLs do not use heat to produce light, their mercury content prompts environmental concerns over their disposal. 

LEDs, on the other hand, produce light through excitation of electrons on a solid material called a semiconductor. Called ‘solid-state technology’, or SSL, this setup allows LEDs to produce light without heat and any hazardous materials. 

What are the benefits of switching to LED lighting?

There are several:
  • Efficiency and durability: While traditional incandescent lights expend energy through heat production and rely on a relatively fragile metal filament, LEDs use less voltage to produce light and function with a much more stable substrate. 
  • Safety: Unlike CFLs, which contain mercury, LEDs are manufactured to be safely discarded.
  • Cost benefit: While LED bulbs may have a higher up-front cost, their energy savings, longevity, and lower maintenance costs mean more money saved per bulb lifetime.
  • Light quality: 
    • Color: LEDs can be produced in any color, meaning more options to fit the modern lifestyle. 
    • Color rendering: CRI, or ‘color rendering index’, is a scale that measures the ability of a light source to accurately reproduce the color of an illumined object. LED lights in production today have exceptionally high CRIs.

 

General Questions: 


Which LED bulb is comparable to a 60 watt light bulb?
See our A19 bulbs here .

What do “cool white" and "warm white” mean?
Color Correlated Temperature (CCT) describes the relative color appearance of a white light source, notated in the Kelvin temperature scale (K). Soft white or warm white lights range from 2700-3000k, and have a yellow-gold tone. As reference, typical incandescent bulbs are around 2800K. Cool white lights have a CCT of around 5000K, yielding a bluish tone. Choose the CCT of your product to best suit your context, purpose, and needs. 

Why do some bulbs require rewiring before installation?
Due to their built-in internal electrical ballast, external ballasts may interfere with the function of some of our linear T8 and PLC lamps. Because of this, it is likely that installation in existing fluorescent fixtures will require some rewiring, which should be performed by a qualified electrician in conformance to local electrical installation standards. Refer to this installation guide for more details.

Can I use my LEDs in enclosed fixtures?
Please do not. In order to work as they should, LEDs must be in a non-enclosed fixture to allow for heat to dissipate from the heat sink. If placed in a fully-enclosed fixture, they may overheat and fail early.
 
 

 

chat iconOur newsletter